Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

First I start with the Egg Noodles.  They really are so easy to make!  You'll wonder why you never did it before.  When Jarrett and I were first married, I made some egg noodles but waited until they were completely dry, before I cooked them (like most recipes say)  Needless to say I had egg noodles covering every surface in our small apartment kitchen for almost a week.  While they were tasty, I thought to myself, I'm never making that again.  Then 8 years later I came across something on the internet that said you don't have to wait until they are dry. And numerous people had commented saying that they never wait.  That sold me, and I decided to try it again.  This recipe makes about 8 servings.  The noodles are so filling that it doesn't take much.  I  half this recipe for my family of 4.

Egg Noodles

2 1/2 C flour
1 pinch of salt
2 eggs beaten
1/2 C milk
1 Tbsp butter

1- add flour and salt in a bowl and mix.
2- In second bowl put in egg and beat with whisk or fork.  Add milk and butter.
3- Make a well, aka; hole) in flour and pour egg mixture into it.
4- Knead dough until smooth, cover with cloth and let sit for 10 minutes.
5- Roll out on floured surface to 1/8 inch think and cut with pizza cutter



I let the noodles dry while I boil my chicken  ( I use the frozen chicken tenderloins from Cotsco) in water with 'Chicken and Herb Bullion' added. ( I add 2 cubes per cup of water.   I use about 10 cups of water for half the recipe)  There are other 'healthier' ways to make the stock, but with 2 little kids, this works best and fastest for me.  Once the chicken is cooked, I add carrots ( I usually use whole baby carrots) and then the noodles and cook the noodles until they are no longer white inside when cut (or bit) open.

 That's all.  You could add, celery, onion and garlic if you wanted but if I did that no one would eat it here (including me).  Although  garlic and bigger chunks of onion wouldn't be bad, I always forget to buy them so I just make it with carrots, chicken and noodles and the herb bullion does a good job of flavoring it.
Then serve with hot rolls!




No comments:

Post a Comment